[Ardour-Users] Hm...

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Aug 31 15:29:02 PDT 2010

Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> writes:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:20:40 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>               . . .
>> I always prefer a "real" mixing console to any virtual, just because of
>> the tactile 'feedback'
>
> I have had a lot of success with the Behringer BCF2000, a MIDI control
> surface like the Korg noted above, but with flying faders that reflect
> the level!

I have right now the Hammerfall DSP connected directly to a pair of
active speakers, and the one thing that is sorely missing is a hardware
volume control.  I'll probably blow through one of those speakers when
things go wrong (they have a surprising amount of blare left when you
cut the power).  I've found a mediocre stereo Volume pedal I've put in
for now (left and right don't totally agree on zero, so there is always
a bit left in the left when kicking down to zero).  But I suppose that a
small hardware mixer will have to end up there as well, which will also
provide me with Mic preamps.

Exiting/starting some audio/audiocontrol application on the computer
and/or reacting to volume problems _real_ _fast_ are problem zones that
you can navigate much safer with hardware.  It's not that much hardware
you need, but in particular not having a physical volume control between
computer interface and active speakers is a recipe for trouble.

--
David Kastrup