[Ardour-Users] Hm...

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Aug 31 14:10:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 16:23 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:46:21 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > A half-misunderstanding :D.
> >
> > DAWs need drop down menus, right click menus, short cuts etc., it's not
> > enough to have enough workspaces.
>
> Whoops, I definitely did misunderstand.
>
> This problem isn't just shared by DAWs though - I've run into a lot of
> hardware that has so many things it tries to do that the knobs and other
> controllers become difficult to use.
>
> In newer digitally-based outboard gear, the problem becomes one of
> re-mapping controls, where the same button can do very different things
> depending on what function the hardware is doing at the time.
>
> User interface design pre-dates computers!

Indeed, some stand-alone-devices could re-map so many functions, that
even stencils aren't handy. I don't like to use my Behringer Modulizer
Pro, even if it's just Behringer, this DSP device has got a very good
quality and interesting effects, but if you don't need it day by day you
will forget how to use it. But you could have 30 19" analog devices
doing the same, the only problem would be the price and the needed room,
but using such devices is easier.

But I might lead this thread in the wrong direction, the original author
might wish to answer what he was talking about ... I'm really quiet now,
because I go off-line.

Good Night,

Ralf