[Ardour-Users] Hm...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Aug 31 08:15:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Well, you point out to the material at flossmanual, and if I look at
> <URL:http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/Ubuntu>, they discuss installing
> version 2.8.4 on Ubuntu 9.10, whereas I am using 2.8.6 on Ubuntu 10.04.
> Actually a newer version than you are documenting.

Within the larger context of Thomas' remark is the point that we
actually aren't really very happy with the way that Linux
distributions package Ardour, but at the present time we don't have
much of an alternative. We have had particular issues with Ubuntu,
where their packages have broken huge pieces of functionality (e.g.
the entire import dialog was blank for several versions of the Ubuntu
package), but they are not alone in this. Several distributions
(again, particularly Ubuntu) also fail to push their "fixes" back
upstream.

If it was trivial (and I do mean *trivial*) for us to build Ardour as
a package neutral binary, we would do that and make them available.
Unfortunately, its still not trivial enough.

The talk about versions has been unfortunately misleading. None of
your issues really have anything to do with the version of Ardour, but
rather center on two distinct and mostly orthogonal issues:

  1) discoverability within the Ardour GUI
  2) picking the right tool for the job

There may also be the issue that you have never used a DAW before and
don't understand precisely what its for, but its still not clear
whether that really has much to do with your complaints.

--p