[Ardour-Users] Hm...

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Aug 31 07:59:52 PDT 2010

Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>> It might be worth mentioning that Ardour does not actually come with a
>> manual, nor with any references to it (let alone a version corresponding
>> to the installed version) in its Help menu.  That is another usability
>> issue.
>
> Then it sounds like not only are the issues with RTFM, but also you
> are using a rather old version of Ardour(Several months at least).

Uh, this is the user list, not the developer list.

>> So the first advice should be to FTFM (Find the Fine Manual), before you
>> can even start to RTFM.
>>

> Again don't use an old version.  We can't control distribution
> packaging sadly, but you will notice that what you are using and what
> you can download from Ardour.org are significantly different.

Well, you point out to the material at flossmanual, and if I look at
<URL:http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/Ubuntu>, they discuss installing
version 2.8.4 on Ubuntu 9.10, whereas I am using 2.8.6 on Ubuntu 10.04.
Actually a newer version than you are documenting.

And what you are documenting is using the package manager from a
standard installation for installing Ardour from repository.  I have
been doing exactly that, using the most recent released version of
Ubuntu, quite in line with what your online documentation recommends.

I mean, newbie-bashing is fun and all that.  But it is sort of absurd to
bash people for doing exactly what your documentation recommends (only
using a more uptodate version than your documentation shows), and
arriving at a configuration that omits pointing at your documentation.

So perhaps grit your teeth for another few months, _update_ the outdated
instructions to refer to Ubuntu 10.10 once it is out, and _then_ return
to newbie-bashing with a vengeance.

It's just a few months.

--
David Kastrup