[Ardour-Users] OT: recording mike recommendation

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 19 15:22:04 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 20:31 +0000, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 19.08.2010 13:51, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > At the moment I'm thinking of buying the C 1000 myself, some time ago I
> > planed to buy some Behringer mics and to tweak them. It's not that I say
> > the AKG mic is a bad one. I wonder if 4 of them inside a grand piano
> > could do the job. First I thought this might a less expensive solution,
> > but I'm sceptic now.
>
> don't. get a matched pair of rode nt5 instead. if you can spend a little
> more, the nt55 might be interesting, since they come with swappable omni
> capsules included. i haven*t had a chance to test the latter, though,
> but maybe you get a chance to listen to them in the shop before you buy.
> or use an online retailer and make use of your right to return them if
> they are not satisfactory.
>
> best,
>
> jörn

Sometime ago I saw those mics on the Thomann homepage. If they are
better than the C 1000, the price would be fair. A pair is for 285,- €
[1], money that I don't have at the moment, but anyway it's not much
money for music equipment. Cardioid + omini would be great, but a single
nt55 costs 228,- € [2], this is to much money for me, I guess for the
pianist too.

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 15:36 -0400, Al Thompson wrote:
> [snip] of course, a brick is more fragile than an
> SM58 [snip]

*lol*

The only thing that could get damaged after 10 years on the road is the
grille.

There's a T.Bone replacement grille for 9.30 € [3].

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 13:45 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> I don't like the sound of Behringer mics.

I never heard one and of course, they are suspect cheap.
The casing might be interesting when building a mic yourself, unfortunately buying a single capsule is expensive, so it's not that easy, resp. less expensive to build a mic.

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 17:48 -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> The NT1-A is a good mic, I have two of them in my collection at the
> moment in fact as a result of being satisfied with the first one I
> bought.

The Rode M3 is for 95,- € [4] here, this unfortunately is the price category for my little world. Jörn's and your experiences with Rode sounds interesting, especially because you both are not fine with the C 1000 too.
The NT1 is to expensive [5] and large diaphragm microphone can't be used all the times. Hm, a single one might be payable and interesting for vocals.

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 17:26 -0400, Chooch Schubert wrote:
> http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

Thank you. Such a listing could be a help to notice some 'unknown' mics.

Resume

I should listen to Rode.

Thank you all!

Ralf

PS: Aaaaaargh!

$ cdda2wav dev=2,0,0 -vall -B -Owav -paranoia -speed=4 filename.wav

first did cause an input/ output error, other rippers seem to be a PITA
too, then I turned the computer off and on and it worked like a charm,
but I stopped the ripping, because I guess I misunderstood

'(-B) -alltracks, -bulk	record each track into a seperate file.'

I guess 'track' is for 'CD tracks', the stereo wave that belongs to the
ID. In my case this would generate 15 stereo WAVs, but I would like to
get 2 mono WAVs, one for the left and another for the right channel or
at least 2 * 15 WAVs.

Hm, right now I see it's possible to split stereo into 2 mono files by
Audacity.

[1] http://www.thomann.de/de/rode_nt_5.htm

[2] http://www.musik-service.de/rode-nt-55-prx395757275de.aspx
http://www.thomann.de/de/search_dir.html?xsid=26baf3066e065ee2d888341fbb0ca6cb&sw=nt55&x=0&y=0&gk=&bn=