[Ardour-Users] Experience? Rework an external 44.1 KHz 16 bit recording

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 19 08:50:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 11:23 -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> I think Nettings has it dead on here.  The C1000 just isn't that good
> of a mic, and in a similar price range there are much better options.
> In this case the tools really do limit the recording.  Of course the
> concept of a loudness war recording when recording classical piano is
> a topic in itself...

In a similar price range?

Hm, OT for this list, but I guess interesting for most of us?

I'm not fine with loudness war myself. The recordings are Jazz
recordings, including one classical recording. Anyway, even for loudness
war the recording should be done around -3 dBfs, but > 0 dBfs, but it
seems to be not enough loudness, just to compress by an insane ratio,
while we, btw. didn't had a compressor at hand. I do have Jazz CDs that
are louder than modern Rock and Pop CDs and I tried to explain Achim
that this doesn't sound better, but bad. No chance! I wonder about
audiophiles that don't notice this, but handle some Jazz recordings as
high quality references.

I guess I will do two mixes, one using JAMin extremely ;).