[Ardour-Users] Experience? Rework an external 44.1 KHz 16 bit recording

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 19 05:56:26 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 08:28 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > I wonder if it would be better to convert the 44.1 KHz recordings to 48
> > KHz or 96 KHz, to be able to record the external reverb at 48 KHz or 96
> > KHz or to keep 44.1 KHz?
>
> Converting up to a higher bitrate can add digital artifacts and filtering
> that can be detrimental, and gains you nothing; you're not going to be
> able to add to what was originally captured.  The compression and reverb
> is not going to have any more to work with in the upsampling.
>
> Good luck with the project!

Thank you :)

I know that the quality of the grand piano recordings (without reverb)
won't become better ;). I wonder if I would benefit for an additional
recorded reverb, assumed this will be an external stand alone reverb,
but an internal Linux reverb.

Anyway, I'll keep 44.1 KHz and 16 bit. Should JACK be forced to use 16
bit?

Cheers!

Ralf