[Ardour-Users] The future?

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 06:16:27 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Nick Murtagh <nickmurtagh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 August 2010 05:46, michael noble <looplog at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, I've
> > always found the RT kernels provide by J.eng to be quite stable and have
> > decent performance - in my experience better than any Ubuntu kernels I've
> > tested, though not quite on par with Fernando's usually excellent CCRMA
> > kernels.
>
> Do you have a feeling for why this is? Is it due to the versions being
> packaged or are Ubuntu doing something wrong?

I've no idea to be honest. And I don't really mean to imply that there's
something wrong with ubuntu, just relaying personal experience. I never
spend that much time debugging a system - simply install and apply the same
basic optimizations if they aren't already applied. My testing is not
scientific - but I do have a standard testing regime of 4 parallel instances
of sooperlooper with timestretching applied on 4-8 loops in each instance,
routed into Ardour. So to be fair, it may not be the kernel - it could be
any number of things that I've not enough time to troubleshoot. I've read
elsewhere that the ubuntu kernel is heavily patched, but so is the openSUSE
kernel to my knowledge. In the end, I can set up an openSUSE system in very
little time and end up with less x-runs, so that's what I go with. The
performance is better under fedora, but the KDE experience is superior under
openSUSE.

Of course, all this is fairly subjective, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone
their highly tuned system under any distro - whatever works would seem to be
the point.

-michael