[Ardour-Users] ardour & "phoning home"

Harold Aling ardour at sait.nl
Mon Aug 9 02:45:13 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:27, Hein Zelle <hein at icce.rug.nl> wrote:
> I think the danger is that many people (and probably more so using
> linux than windows/mac) have become increasingly allergic to software
> doing things behind their backs.

[ ] Check for newer versions of Ardour.
Get a notification when there's a new version available. This will
send your current Ardour version number together with your kernel
version to a central server and will be used to gather usage
statistics. All data will be stored encrypted and anonymous and will
never be used for any commercial activities.

I would tick that box.

The first version that includes this 'feature' should ask if the user
wants to check for updates upon starting the new Ardour and tell the
user that this setting can be changed at <menu entry>.

Check for newer versions of Ardour.
Get a notification when there's a new version available. This will
send your current Ardour version number together with your kernel
version to a central server and will be used to gather usage
statistics. All data will be stored encrypted and anonymous and will
never be used for any commercial activities. This setting can be
changed at <menu entry>.
[ ] Yes, please!
[ ] No, thanks...
[ ] Ask me later...

I don't see any problems with this kind of implementation whatsoever
as long as the user is properly notified and the setting is changeable
in the GUI...

-H-