[Ardour-Users] ardour & "phoning home"

fred f.rech at yahoo.fr
Sat Aug 7 00:55:59 PDT 2010

Due to my poor english, can't express what I think in a better way Nedko
does !

This phone home thing sounds like a "windows agent", if remember the name
correctly ?

May I suggest to inform people they have to include an option, say
"--PHONEHOME=1"
when compile ?  It could be a check box before or after the subscription
one,
with some teasing like "Help Ardour ! Let Paul know more about your
system", and YES,
you have to brainstorm a lot to find the right words to make people
understand you're
not big brother's cousin !!

To alert on new version, you may ask for a valid mail before download
and mail-list ?

Personally, it should be ok to send a mail to "Ardour's robot", with an
attached file
generated in the launch phase of Ardour. Just add a repertory and create
a file
with in what you like, is it difficult to program ? From user side, it
could be his little
time invest in Open Source. Hey, some proudly feeling here !

Please, never enable this by default !
Fred