[Ardour-Users] [

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Aug 6 07:24:04 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Brett Clark <brett.clark at zirous.com> wrote:
> Just tossing my 2 cents in, but what if it only "phoned-home" the very first
> time it was executed after an install/update and it specifically asked the
> user before doing so.  For instance a dialog box saying: Is it okay to
> transmit information to Paul:  Yes, No, Maybe, Kind of.
>
> There could be a flag placed in the ardour.rc file stating the last version
> reported so that if an update is made then it would know that it needs to
> ask again, and it wouldnt ask upon each individual running of the program if
> no updates were made.
>
> Could that work?

i think its a bit orthogonal. there are 2 parts to the idea:

   1) get the current release version from ardour.org
          1b) compare with current version and maybe say something
   2) report current version (and platform) to ardour.org

doing (1) can be done all the time without doing any of (2). however,
the ability to say "213 people started Ardour in the last 24 hours,
and 186 of them were on Linux" would be very valuable for planning
purposes.

--p