[Ardour-Users] [

Nick Murtagh nickmurtagh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 04:56:34 PDT 2010

On 6 August 2010 12:29, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> no, its not. it was intended to be an easy and "reliable" way to get a
> handle on the distribution that ardour was being used on. got any
> better ideas on how to do this?

There's lsb_release and /etc/lsb-release, but I'm not sure how widely
supported those are.

Lots of distributions seem to put files in /etc/, but they are
different for each one.
see eg http://www.unix.com/slackware/23652-determine-linux-version.html

You could just pick 4 or 5 common distros and write code for each one... :/

By the way, I'd disagree that users having custom kernels is quite
common! Most users don't even know what a kernel is. And anyone
capable of compiling a custom kernel is more than capable of disabling
this feature.