[Ardour-Users] RT-patched kernel in Gentoo

Noel Darlow mail at mcgruff.plus.com
Tue Sep 8 15:32:48 PDT 2009

Hi

> It appear that the latest kernel that includes Ingo Molnar's realtime
> patches that's available in Gentoo's portage tree (rt-sources, in the
> pro-audio overlay) is 2.6.16-r29.
Sounds like you need to stick this in /etc/portage/package.keywords:

sys-kernel/rt-sources	~x86

Do you know how to use equery, ie:

$ equery list -p -o -i rt-sources

...will list everything matching the specified package (rt-sources) in
portage (-p) overlays (-o) and any you've currently got installed (-i).

> Have any Gentoo users here rolled
> their own newer kernels using a newer vanilla source tree and applied
> the RT patches and other patches that a Gentoo kernel ebuild normally
> pulls in? Did you run into any 'gotcha's in terms of the order in
> which you applied the patches?
In the past I've used vanilla-sources and manually applied the RT
patch. Worked just fine.

Noel