[Ardour-Users] does reverse leave audio untouched

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Sep 6 06:14:34 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 14:44 +0200, Atte Andre Jensen wrote:

> Thanks. But actually I didn't ask about un-reverse (i think), just a
> reverse, followed by another reverse. A double file-write with same
> contents at the first one should be ok for me.

If you reverse a region in Ardour, you can't do a 2nd reverse on the
same region. What you are offered is simply switching back to the
not-reversed-in-the-first-place file, I think.

But if you bounce or record a reversed region, you get a new region
without this relation, where you can do an actual (2nd) reverse.

What I'm not sure about is how the extent of the region is treated. What
happens if your reverse a region, trim start and end, un-reverse it? How
do the start/end times relate?

I see no reason at all why 2 actual reverse operations on the same audio
material should ever produce something differing from the original. It's
just a series of values read/written in one or the other direction.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/