[Ardour-Users] Destructive editing

Rob Quin robquin at uklinux.net
Fri Oct 30 18:55:22 PDT 2009

This topic has kind of been covered before but I want to take a slightly
different approach.

I have several recordings which I made on my portable multi-tracker. They are
mostly 5-track. Generally 15 to 25 minutes long with 2 to 3 minutes of useful
audio in amongst the bad takes and studio chat. I want to rough edit most of
the useless information off these tracks before I import them into ardour for
final editing. The tracks exist as separate mono wav files, so I need an
editor that I can import the files into separate tracks. Then crop them all
at the same time so that the new start points are all at the same place. If
not then the tracks won't be in sync when I import them into Ardour. Then
save each track as a separate wav file again.

I can see that I could make a temporary Ardour project. Trim off the excess
and then do 5 separate exports before deleting the temporary project. However
past discussions here have given me the impression that Ardour may not be the
easiest tool to do destructive editing with, So my question is: Does anyone
have any suggestions or opinions upon which software would be better to use
for this kind of operation?

Rob