[Ardour-Users] Has anyone built 2.8.3 on a KDE system?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Oct 30 07:15:58 PDT 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 06:41:22 am Mark Greenwood wrote:
> I've now tried this on 2 different KDE4 systems - Mandriva 2009.1 and
>  Kubuntu 9.10 and I get exactly the same behaviour on both (except that 2.8
>  doesn't build at all on the Kubuntu box but that's a different problem).

> Does anybody out there run 2.8.3 on a 'pure' KDE4-based system? Have you
>  built it successfully?

My Fedora 11 box probably isn't considered a 'pure' KDE 4 box, since F11 pulls
in quite a bit of GNOME even in a KDE4 install.  And in my case I'm tracking
the kde-redhat development packages (which produce all sorts of fun things),
so this isn't 'typical', but, having said all that, here's what I did.

I have successfully built and installed Ardour 2.8.3 in a working mode with
good graphics and 'normal' performance, but I did it in a different way than
most.  I took the Fedora 12 Ardour 2.8.2 source RPM and all its dependencies
that weren't available in F11 (libsndfile of the required version, for
instance), and rebuilt from source RPM for version 2.8.2 to make sure the
buildsystem was working properly.  I then modified the 2.8.2 source RPM's spec
file for 2.8.3, and 'rpmbuild -ba ardour.spec' and picked up a shiny new Ardour
2.8.3 RPM a little while later.  Note that there are a number of dependencies
that have to be rebuilt from the F12 (rawhide at the moment) repository.

Can't help you with the Kubuntu rebuild, though, as I never really delved into
the Debian way of packaging and rebuilding packages.  But I maintained the
PostgreSQL.org RPM set between 1999 and 2004, and still remember the proper
way of building things on an RPM-based system.  And the current Ardour package
maintainer for Fedora is doing a good job of tracking things, it looks like,
so F12 might get 2.8.3 (I haven't checked the repo, though).
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer