[Ardour-Users] many changes in 2.X SVN

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Oct 2 02:07:41 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis"
Subject: [Ardour-Users] many changes in 2.X SVN

> i'd really appreciate it if a few of you could test out an svn build and
> check into a few of the features

Paul, can I flag up a potential problem - possibly with Ardour, possibly
with the upgrade process - although hopefully just a one-off glitch with my
copy of subversion.  I'm not yet running the very latest upgrades but until
last weekend I was at svn5656 which was around 3 weeks old.  Then (last
Friday or Saturday) I ugraded to svn5686 which must have then been the
current version.

It just so happened that a lot of of the changes were to one particular file
(IIRC, gtk2_ardour/ardour_ui.cc).  This isn't a file that I've ever edited
myself so I was surprised to see that it ended up a slightly different size
from its reference copy (gtk2_ardour/.svn/text-base/ardour_ui.cc.svn-base).
I don't normally check anything like this.  I just noticed it by chance.

Anyway, when I looked into it a bit further, two of the new lines had been
missed out of my working copy.  They were both present in the reference copy
but not in ardour_ui.cc.  Neither omission would have caused a build error
so it's lucky that I noticed them.

Since then I've been experiencing some odd behaviour with Ardour.  If I
launch it and try to open a recent session (using that first 'Open Session'
dialog) I just get an empty session with no tracks or regions and no master
bus (almost as though it's created a 'faulty' empty session).  However, once
the editor opens I can then load the intended session successfully by using
Session->Recent.  If this wasn't a known problem with svn5686 I'm guessing
the same glitch must have manifested itself somewhere else too.

I'm still trying to track the problem down but I'm hoping it was just a
one-off and something local to me.  Never had anything like this before
though, AFAIK.  Can you confirm whether the above was or wasn't a known
problem in svn 5686?

John