[Ardour-Users] best installation of ardour

lieven moors lievenmoors at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:54:11 PDT 2009

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Joe Hartley wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:09:17 +0200
>> Michael Neumeier <dennismail at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On the other side, I am still searching for a better distro,
>>> because  Ubuntu Studio is using the Ubuntu repositories by default
>>
>> I've been using the Fedora/Planet CCRMA combination for years, and I
>> have been very pleased with it.
>> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
>
> Yes, CCRMA should be very good too, but for someone using Ubuntu
> Studio, 64 Studio might be more familiar, e.g. because of the packages
> management.

This new audio distribution seems very promising.

http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

I haven't installed it yet, but I tried the live CD.
It's based on Debian testing, and has very recent versions of most
important audio programs.
It comes with a realtime kernel as well.

I'm using Ubuntu Studio (Hardy based) now.  If you're not afraid of
compiling programs yourself,
this is a very good distribution. Once you have the necessary -dev
packages installed, you can compile
anything you want (without too much effort).
I use the Stow system to manage the installation of source packages, so
I can easily
switch between different versions of the same program.

http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/

The only thing that can be difficult, is installing recent versions of
programs or libraries that have lots
of other packages that depending on it. The best example is installing
newer versions of jack.
To install a newer version, you have to overwrite the installed package
in the /usr hierarchy (./configure --prefix=/usr).
A cleaner way to do this would be: remove jack packages ignoring
dependencies, create a stub package for
these packages (equivs), install the compiled jack package (with stow).

Jaunty is good as well, but a lot of people reported problems with the
realtime kernel.
But this can be solved by compiling a more recent -rt patched kernel.