[Ardour-Users] Range markers and Loop markers

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 15 05:29:03 PDT 2009

I seem to be having trouble understanding Range markers and Loop markers and
I wondered if anyone could help?

Loop Markers:
1)  I can set a loop range by left-clicking on the Loop/Punch ruler and
dragging my mouse.  This creates a range having a start mark and end mark.
If I right-click on either of those marks I get the option to play the
designated range - but there's no option to loop over the designated range.
Am I missing something?

2)  If I left-click my mouse on the Loop/Punch ruler, either to the left of
the loop start mark or the right of the loop end mark, this selects every
clip on my timeline canvas.  What purpose does this serve?  i.e. why would
I want to select everything by clicking there?

Range Markers:
1)  Range markers work broadly the same as above except that they offer the
option to loop over a designated range, which is very useful.  If I click
the range marker ruler as in (2) above, I get the same problems - but
there's also a third problem....  if I click in between the range start and
range end, a big green block appears on my timeline canvas.  Once that block
appears I cannot select any clip within its boundaries (unless it happens to
start or end outside the boundaries).  Also, if the Play cursor happens to
be underneath the green block, I can't select that either.  Is this expected
behaviour?

2)  Is there a way to get rid of the green block?  Deleting the range
doesn't clear it.  Even closing the project and re-opening doesn't clear it.
The only way I've found is to shut down Ardour and re-start, which is very
inconvenient.

Hope that all makes sense.  Thanks.

John