[Ardour-Users] Ardour Manual Topics

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed May 13 14:08:22 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Ok, one comment emailed to me, that I agree with.  That is that we should
> probably reference button clicks by BUTTON-1 or BUTTON-2, etc. instead of
> left click and right click.  Do others agree/disagree?

Not only that. Do *not* use Ctrl-Button1 either. The following excerpt
from the build system
shows the mapping of modifier keys on OS X/Quartz and X11:

if gtkardour['GTKOSX']:
        #
	# Command(Meta), Alt/Option(Mod1), Ctrl, Shift
	#
	keybindings_dict['%PRIMARY%'] = 'Meta'
	keybindings_dict['%SECONDARY%'] = 'Mod1'
	keybindings_dict['%TERTIARY%'] = 'Shift'
	keybindings_dict['%LEVEL4%'] = 'Ctrl'
	keybindings_dict['%WINDOW%'] = 'Mod1'
else:
	#
	# Ctrl, Alt, Shift + whatever the "windows" key is set to
(<Mod4><Super> by default on many distros)
	#
	keybindings_dict['%PRIMARY%'] = 'Ctrl'
	keybindings_dict['%SECONDARY%'] = 'Alt'
	keybindings_dict['%TERTIARY%'] = 'Shift'
	keybindings_dict['%LEVEL4%'] = env['WINDOWS_KEY']
	keybindings_dict['%WINDOW%'] = 'Alt'

So, when referring to a binding (key or mouse), be sure to use
something like %PRIMARY%-Button1 so that it can be postprocessed to
show the correct thing in the finished manual. This is what the
keybindings files do.