[Ardour-Users] Ardour punch in

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 4 04:31:46 PST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:15 AM, John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Most other DAWs I've used seem to handle punch-in by editing any underlying
> regions.  So if you punch into an existing track and then delete the new
> region, you'll end up with a hole in the original region (though not a hole
> in the actual audio clip, of course).  This is usually known as
> non-destructive punch in.  Admittedly, this is arguably a misnomer because
> the timeline data gets destroyed, even if the audio clip is unaffected.
>
> Ardour seems to have a different approach.  Ardour seems to overlay an
> opaque region on top of the original region - thereby giving the impression
> that the original region got edited when in fact, it didn't.

Not sure why it gives that impression, but it doesn't matter.

Ardour's method is truly non-destructive and I can see some immediate
> advantages in it - especially if you punch into a track by mistake, in
> which
> case it would be a trivial matter to go back to the original.  However, I
> can also envisage situations where the more conventional "leave a hole"
> approach would be preferable.  Does Ardour have an option whereby it will
> edit an underlying timeline region whilst leaving the actual audio clip
> intact?  In other words, the so-called "non destructive" punch in?

if i understand what you are asking about, then it implies that if you
"punch" over a single region, within its boundaries, you split the original
region in two ("before punch" and "after punch") and insert the new region
in between them.

if so, then the answer is no, *except* that lincoln spiteri has recently
written a nice patch that allows trimming a region in a single step to the
boundaries of other regions that it overlaps (or that overlaps it). this
patch has not yet been applied.

i'd appreciate an explanation of the situations where the "leave a hole"
approach is preferable.