[Ardour-Users] Ardour punch in

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 02:15:56 PST 2009

Most other DAWs I've used seem to handle punch-in by editing any underlying
regions.  So if you punch into an existing track and then delete the new
region, you'll end up with a hole in the original region (though not a hole
in the actual audio clip, of course).  This is usually known as
non-destructive punch in.  Admittedly, this is arguably a misnomer because
the timeline data gets destroyed, even if the audio clip is unaffected.

Ardour seems to have a different approach.  Ardour seems to overlay an
opaque region on top of the original region - thereby giving the impression
that the original region got edited when in fact, it didn't.

Ardour's method is truly non-destructive and I can see some immediate
advantages in it - especially if you punch into a track by mistake, in which
case it would be a trivial matter to go back to the original.  However, I
can also envisage situations where the more conventional "leave a hole"
approach would be preferable.  Does Ardour have an option whereby it will
edit an underlying timeline region whilst leaving the actual audio clip
intact?  In other words, the so-called "non destructive" punch in?

John