[Ardour-Users] Live Recording Techniques

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jul 21 05:18:37 PDT 2009

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> Another variant is using mics that
>   are placed on or near the stage, facing into the crowd, though the
>   polarity of these tracks might need to be reversed to minimize phase
>   cancellation.

Dunno. I guess this is touching the time domain issue. (Some minutes ago
I learned that "time domain" should be the English word for "Laufzeiten")

I guess taken together we can recommend to use as many mics as possible,
but always as stereo pairs or mono (not 10 mics mixed together or as ms
matrix etc.) and at all events to record the mics on their own audio tracks.

Taking care about comb filter effects by unwanted reflections might be a
good idea, but taking care about time domain because of distances etc.
might cause to much stress.

Phew! I don't need to take care about this while recording synth at home
;), anyway I'm jealous ;), even if Christopher will have bad luck and it
won't be perfect, I promise that it will sound much livelier than best,
perfect studio recordings :). I never heard any optimized artificial
ambiance by reverbs, that can reach even less good ambiance recorded by
microphones.

I need to go back to my Ohh and Ahh samples now :(.