[Ardour-Users] Live Recording Techniques

Geoff Beasley geoff at laughingboyrecords.com
Mon Jul 20 20:08:45 PDT 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:49:17 +1000, Christopher Stamper
<christopherstamper at gmail.com> wrote:

> -And my biggest question. We will probably be doing 3-4 different
> songs; I don't want to make a project for each one, yet this is what
> I'm used to doing. Howo do you recommend I do it? Just record the
> entire session on one track, with no pausing? Should I do each song on
> it's own track, using soloing/muting?

simple Chris; use markers. You can add them 'on-the-fly' and they will
'divide' the timeline up enough for you in post. if yopu select the 'name
as you add' ( or whatever0 feature when you press KP_enter it will ask you
to name it first;neat ! if you have multiple feeds then multiple tracks is
the way to go, otherwise simply mix in realtime to a stereo track. don't
split tracks to songs; it just confuses the sequence of the session.
remember Ardour has a 'notepad' type feature at the bottom of the mixer
strip, so you could simply add any notes you want in there as the session
progresses. just remeber which track you've used ;)

i don't use mac here; sorry.

hth,

g.