[Ardour-Users] financial ideas commentary

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 16 00:04:44 PST 2009

Paul Davis wrote:

Thanks for your honest assessment. As usual you are way too humble with
regards to the hard work and effort you have expended on Ardour.

> My own financial skills are, I admit, poor. I am a pessimist about most
> ideas to raise the revenue the program can generate. I am a skeptic
> about the likelihood of this idea or that idea really changing the big
> picture. But this doesn't mean it cannot be done. It is, however, my
> responsibility, and I thank everyone for both their existing financial
> support and their ideas and enthusiasm.

I think you are much closer to the goal than you think. The next couple
of years are really going to work in the favour of Linux development and
open source software. You have established that the project is worth
money to several different companies with very different agendas. In the
next couple of years as budgets shrink with the economy more people will
be looking to open source for their technology requirements.

I am sure that with some more time dedicated to getting the
infrastructure for community funded development in place you will see
very positive results over the next year and into the coming decade.

This is a chance to put in place a complete system and make sure that
the large number of users who work with Ardour take responsibility for
making sure development continues to progress and payments represent the
true value of the software.

I am happy to assist with any of the integration that has been suggested
and I hope that the rest of the dev team will be able to focus on the
work that needs to be done to make sure we are ready when the damn
breaks and the floodgates open.

The economic crisis is really going to be a boon for adoption of Linux
and open source as people look to cut costs while still keeping ahead of
the game.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey