[Ardour-Users] Could this solve Ardour's financial headache?

Hein Zelle hein at icce.rug.nl
Wed Jan 14 04:35:22 PST 2009

Jamie McLaughlin wrote:

> Actually, the 'reality' of Free Software is incompatible with your
> approach. In the case of proprietary software, development is funded by
> private interests in the expectation that they can sell the finished
> product to recoup their investment. From the perspective of an end user,
> you don't have to pay until the software is finished and available. It
> is the "Buy Now, Get Now" model, and it is obviously what you would prefer.

That's true, but at the same time it's not really fair to expect users
to pay for something they are not using, I think.  I do like the
current version of ardour for what I want to do, and when I start
recording somewhat more seriously I will donate.  I don't expect
people to donate when they don't like it for their purpose yet.
I think the keyword is "donate" - it's not "buy", and therefore
voluntary, and that must be inspired by something.  Liking the
software a lot, being encouraged properly, and preferably both.

About Paul's point - I'm indeed starting to wonder if there _are_ any
relatively small software packages that are open source that do make a
sustainable income from it, on the scale that you're looking for.  I
have my doubts if one (let alone multiple) full time position is
feasible from small donations alone.  I fear if you want that, you may
need to add a paid-for component, so it becomes "buy" instead of
"donate", with the additional expectations.

Of the options Paul listed I favour the "plough on regardlessly and
hope/wait for more critical mass" the most.  I do have the impression
it's taking off quickly with the popularity of ardour.

Regards,
	Hein Zelle

--

 Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who
 it's friends are.

 Hein Zelle                     hein at icce.rug.nl
	                        http://www.icce.rug.nl/~hein