[Ardour-Users] Could this solve Ardour's financial headache?

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Jan 13 13:44:11 PST 2009

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:35:16 +0100
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > I was actually going to mention Trent earlier. Off the top of my head,
> > I came up with Trent Reznor, Chuck D, David Byrne, Peter Gabriel,
>
> do you know who owns Solid State Logic? Peter has already paid me. He's
> a nice guy. Just didn't have a long term business plan for using Ardour.

Getting a check from Peter Gabriel is pretty f'ing cool.

> > Get users and proponents and the money will follow. Almost every
> > musician I know has seen Protools or Cubase; none had ever heard of
> > Ardour until I told them.
>
> this is a very "domain-specific" situation. i've been amazed at some of
> the places i've been and have run into people who knew about ardour.
> particularly younger people.

One thing that is helping in this regard is the Mac build and the
SAE support of it.  My son, who is a freshman music major at university
now, is a very typical student.  His computer of choice is a MacBook,
and he wants to do a little more with it than Garb^HageBand will
allow him to.  His answer, and one he's telling his friends about,
is Ardour.

There's plenty of stuff happening with getting some name recognition
out there.  It's just not a fast process.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com