[Ardour-Users] Freeze a track?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Thu Jan 1 12:13:08 PST 2009

On 1 January 2009 at 13:28, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:

> The why:
> Imagine a track with post fader plugins. Those plugins might be
> linear (reverbs, delays) but they could also be non-linear like
> distortion or compression. These effects are gain sensitive. As
> the main fader acts as a input gain for the post fader
> redirects, also the fader needs to be "frozen".

My non-linear plugins (I'm using only SC1 here) are pre-fader.
My linear plugins (I'm using only Multiband EQ) are post-fader.

> The question:
> Ardour usually steers towards being "perfect" in cases like
> this. But one could argue that in this case we outsource the
> risk. We could let the user move the fader and just tell them
> in the manual that fader movements on frozen tracks with
> non-linear post fader effects will not sound like what it would
> sound unfrozen.
>
> I'd love to hear what the users think about this- Should we
> make this part imperfect?

My expectation was that the fader, pan, routing, plugins, time
placement, essentially all controls for the track, would be
frozen in their current state.  It looked like that was the case
in terms of controllability.  Is that what you've defined as the
perfect case?  If so, that's what I want.

My confusion is that when I clicked to freeze the track, that the
loudness instantly changed from where it was.  This was evident
by the volume coming out of my speakers and was also reflected
in the track's waveform display in the editor window.  Excuse me
for being dense or stupid about this, but why should freezing
the track change how loud it is?  Go ahead and get technical, if
that's useful; I can handle it.  ;-)

>  Happy 2009!

Absolutely, happy 2009 to all!

Thanks much for your reply.