[Ardour-Users] Freeze a track?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jan 1 07:42:41 PST 2009

On Thursday 01 January 2009 16:21:14 you wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 January 2009 12:28:11 Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> >> Ardour usually steers towards being "perfect" in cases like this. But
> >> one could argue that in this case we outsource the risk. We could let
> >> the user move the fader and just tell them in the manual that fader
> >> movements on frozen tracks with non-linear post fader effects will not
> >> sound like what it would sound unfrozen.
> > Who reads manuals???
> > Regardless whether "Freeze" freezes the state before or after the fader,
> > don't rely on "its documented in the manual" to explain things. When was
> > the last time you read the manual of a new device completely before you
> > switched it on?
> That no excuse. Saying it's in the manual is a perfectly acceptable
> response. Especially if followed up with a helpful pointer, explanation
> and even offer to make things easier which Sampo has done.

Its not an excuse. Its a question about creating software with high or low
threshold. Software that requires you to read the manual before you can use it
is not actually good software (or very specific software) and will gain less
users than software with sane defaults (that are possible to tweak
afterwards).

I think in the situation sampo described, there are two possibilities: a) use
some "strange" default and answer every question about it (and there will be
lots!) with "its in the manual, read it there". Or b) use less strange
defaults and use the manual to describe a way to change these defaults for the
people who haven't found out by themselves.

> - I vote for a dual option with a toggle in the control panel...

And maybe even extensive tool-tips to give a first explanation?!

Have fun,

Arnold