[Ardour-Users] linux distro install tool info wanted

m.eik michalke m at openmusiccontest.org
Sat Feb 7 08:52:34 PST 2009

hello chris,

am Freitag, 6. Februar 2009 (12:03) schrieb Chris Cannam:
> Surely the "recommended" package installer for Ubuntu is neither
> apt-get, aptitude, nor any other command line tool, but Applications
> -> Add/Remove?  (It says something about the design of Ubuntu that I
> don't even know what this program is called!)

the tool you describe is called gnome-app-install, but it won't help much in
ardour's case because it is uncapable of altering the repository
configuration (and "universe" isn't used by default). actually, when it
starts it informs you, in the short introduction, to use synaptic instead if
you need anything more than simply installing or removing a package.

i'd consider it just a lightweight conveniance tool for totally unexperienced
users (which is fine with me), but not the recommended way of managing
packages, even with ubuntu. if anyone is capable of altering the sources.list
file correctly, s/he should also be considered to be smart enough to
type "aptitude install foobar", or cope with synaptic and adept ;-)

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
::: OpenMusicContest.org   :: http://openmusiccontest.org
  : music wants to be free  :