[Ardour-Users] linux distro install tool info wanted

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 02:31:14 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 10:53 +0100, Paul Davis wrote:
> 1 at a time please.
>
> please reply to the list with the
>
>    * name(s) of linux distribution(s)

Debian

>    * name of the install tool for the distro

There are several.

At the bottom level there is dpkg which installs individual packages and
then there are others tools on top that also automatically install
dependencies.  The ones I know of are:

apt-get - command line, popular with experts.
aptitude - curses interface
synaptic - GTK interface.

>    * name of ardour package for the distro

ardour

There is also ardour-i686 and ardour-altivec

>    * actual command to install and to update ardour

apt-get install ardour

>    * name of special repository/ies worth knowing for the distro

http://debian-multimedia.org

The above is obviously targeted at multimedia software and tends to
include more recent versions than the main repository or where code that
may be patent encumbered has been left in while in the main repository
it has been removed.