[Ardour-Users] Pre-roll

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Wed Feb 18 19:20:54 PST 2009

In my spare time, I've been trying to convert a friend from a ProTools user to Ardour. He runs a pro studio and has been balking at the price and inconvenience of ProTools upgrades.

I engineered a session with him today, and he kept asking me about "pre-roll", i.e. where's the pre-roll feature? I guess ProTools has some very fast, efficient way to do punch-ins, by pre-rolling the transport a few beats or bars before the punch-in point. He was getting kind of impatient with me since I didn't know how to do that in Ardour (I'm not a professional engineer, he is) and it was taking more time than it should have.

Anyway, is there some similar feature in Ardour? If not, is there an easy way to workaround and do what this feature does?

Thanks.

-ken