[Ardour-Users] Plugin help

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 24 08:20:44 PST 2009

jh at brainiac.com wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Ralf Mardorf
>> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

>>> IMO restoration and noise removal is something that is uninteresting for
>>> audio engineering.
>>>
>> I would STRONGLY disagree.
>>
>> I DO agree with your premise we should concentrate on noise
>> prevention, however I am not always working with recordings I make.
>>

> I'll jump in here because I've done a project using some pre-recorded
> tracks, including a couple that were taken off vinyl.
>
> There isn't a LADSPA/LV2 plugin that I know of that does noise removal or
> cleanup very well, but that was not an issue for me at all.
>
> That's because I used the very capable gnome wave cleaner (gwc) on the
> sound files I had BEFORE I loaded them into Ardour.
>
> Ardour does what it does very well.  I do not expect it to be a front end
> to every sort of audio processing I might need to do.  I do a fair amount
> of field recording with a digital recorder, then copy the files over to my
> studio machine.  While I will often use Ardour to build up the overall
> session, I frequently use gwc and audacity for pre-processing the files
> before I load them into Ardour.
>
> I've found that between those 2 tools, I'm able to get very good results.
> It doesn't bother me at all that I can't do what I want with a plugin.  As
> long as I have the right tool for the job, I'm happy, and I do feel I have
> the right tools available in Linux.

I'll test GWC just for my self, no report about GWC will follow ;).

I don't need such a tool and I'm sceptic that any tool will satisfy my
needs, but maybe I'm wrong.

Again, do good recordings and store vinyl and audio tapes in the correct
way to avoid postprocessing ;)!

IMO LADSPAs and LV2s should be good for recordings and "normal"
postprocessing (mastering), but not to repair anything.
Very often I'm not fine with Linux effects, but to expect that there
should be effects that should be able to repair mistakes IMO is the
wrong direction.

:)
Ralf