[Ardour-Users] Shaky Ardour... (true love?

Geoff Beasley geoff at laughingboyrecords.com
Wed Dec 16 13:37:10 PST 2009

 I'm going to make a sweeping statement of absolute fact; Ardour is 'almost'
 NEVER the problem.

 I have been a fulltime user (literally!) for over 4 years and in that time
 Ardour has crashed and burnt lots of my work; and it was almost always my
 system and my expectations at fault and not Ardour at all. And when it was
 Ardour, I sought help to debug and get the faults fixed (often within
  minutes btw)

 On Windows, proprietry software has a gazzilion fixes for the
 shortcomings,faults and design quirks of that OS that you never get to see;
 let alone all of the wonderful,spontainious and truely magical ways your
  $500+ program will find to eat,distort,slip and twist your latest
  masterpiece into nothing more than a vanished collection of meaningless
  electrons.

 Most of us have been there I'm sure and sometimes with Ardour....
However, if anyone intends to do DAW work in Linux then you MUST learn how
  to build and operate your own system. Then, as a last step, put your audio
  workhorses on top. IMHO, roll-your-own is the only way. Distro's are
  great, but not for serious work as far as i'm concerned.

 Ihave had to apologise to -p so many times for things that appeared to be
 Ardour and simply wasn't, that i speak with some knowledge ;)

 just my 2c

g.

--
Geoff Beasley