[Ardour-Users] Ardour FLOSS Manual finale

Chris Hallinan challinan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 12:32:15 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Chris Hallinan <challinan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a relative newbie to Ardour, I thought I'd read through the manuals
>> and add where I can.  In the process, I discovered an issue with
>> detaching and reattaching menus.  As described in InterfaceOverview,
>> in the section on Detaching and Reattaching Menus, when I click on the
>> downward pointing arrow, the menu disappears.  It is nowhere on my
>> screen, and I haven't found a way to get it back unless I restart
>> Ardour.  This was found on Ardour 2.3 which is the repo version for my
>> Ubuntu 8.04LTS.
>>
>> I downloaded and compiled the latest version (2.8.4) and the behavior
>> is the same.
>>
>> Anything else I can do to help isolate this?
>
> its your window manager. what are you using?

Yes, perhaps it is.  After sending this email, I discovered that
pressing the downward pointing arrow does indeed create a new icon on
my gnome panel (i keep it hidden so hadn't noticed it before) but it
cannot be maximized.  In fact, right clicking on the icon shows the
Maximize button is greyed out.   The net effect is that the menu can't
be re-opened nor restored without restarting Ardour.

Window manager?  Damn good question.   (Shouldn't everybody know what
window manager they are running?? :) )

After some investigation I discovered I'm running compiz.

Maybe there's a way to change it in Ubuntu 8.04?  Dunno, I don't want
to do distribution engineering, just some simple audio recording... ;)

Thanks,

Chris

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.