[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linux

Luc Tanguay lucus at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 23 17:49:07 PDT 2009

Thanks all for the great comments.

Just one thing that was not clear in my original post.  The computer
(Mac or PC) would be used exclusively to do audio work.  The wife will
not touch it :-)

For me, a computer engineer/musician, buying a Mac would be like a
mechanic buying a car with the hood welded (I know it 's old OSS
rethoric...).  Even for me, sometimes I have to scratch my head to make
things work (last time I updated ALSA, the id of my 2 sound cards were
reset to their default values.  It took me a few days before things got
back to normal.  I think in a Mac I wouldn't have this problem and have
only one card...).

But for my friend, Mac OS X seems to be the best approach (and HE can
afford it).  A Firewire interface, Ardour/Jack, good studio monitors,
mics, and plenty of time to record and mix (Oh! I can't wait to hear his
first mix... It will be a mess but you have to begin somewhere...).

P.S. I talked about Mac vs Linux and by some strange phenomena, Windows
crept in...

--
lucus