[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linux

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 23 05:20:20 PDT 2009

On Sunday 23 Aug 2009 04:22:14 Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Luc Tanguay <lucus at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > I need advise.
> >
> > A musician friend of mine wants to build a small home-studio.  Seeing my
> > setup he wants Adrour at the center of it all... (A good demo is a good
> > selling point :-) I'm running Linux (64 studio on a dual-core AMD PC) so I
> > suggest him Linux... But his wife being a Mac addict, and he, having already
> > used some Mac to do simple tasks (photo, video, drawing), wants to go Mac.
> >
> > On Ardour site, in System Requirements, I read OS X and Linux. But I need
> > feedback from users of both camp...
> >
> > If he goes Linux I can help him with Ardour and the rest... But if he goes
> > Mac OS X, I have no clue and no time to learn yet another operating
> > "environment" to do simple task like update/install software, add/modify
> > hardware devices (disks, MIDI keyboard, dual-monitor, ...), modify system
> > parameters (dynamic CPU speed, PCI latency, ...), compile/link source code,
> >
> > What is the easiest path? (I would add: ... the easiest path for me :-)
> >

> I personally would say that is likely the wrong addition there, it should be
> the easiest path for him (And his wife) since they will be the ones using
> it.
>
> Ok background info here.  I am currently on OS X primarily for my audio
> work.  I will get to why in a moment.  I have for a long time run a Linux
> workstation, and consider myself a firm supporter of the _possibilities_ or
> Linux, however I do not consider myself a supporter of the default Linux
> state for professional audio as it currently stands.  It is FAR from user
> friendly for most users, and particularly newcomers.  I can set up a
> workstation for my own use in a very short order, but I know far more than
> most newcomers will for some time.  Try to explain what a pre-emption
> capable kernel is, or why you need to be a member of a 'group' and have a
> specific text file set up and it turns most off.  Admittedly there are some
> (few) distributions that come close to providing a 'decent' out of the box
> experience for newcomers for the initial install for the purpose of
> professional audio.  But once you get past that initial install things tend
> to require more work when dealing with the normal working environment,
> getting non-jack and jack software working together(Flash, Pulse, and Jack
> in a big pot anyone?), doing upgrades to the newest versions of software
> (Like Ardour for instance) etc. tend to need more work than they should
> really.

Thomas that's an excellent summary but I disagree on one point - getting non-jack applications to work with Jack is a super-simple matter. There is an alsa-jack plugin and it's a simple case to set it up so that Jack is the default alsa output. Non-jack applications can then just be configured to use the default alsa output, which redirects to Jack. I use this with great success on my setup. I note however that this plugin is not available on ubuntu-derived systems, for some bizzarre reason. I use Mandriva and never have trouble getting any audio to work. get rid of Pulse, it's a mess, and just use Jack.

Note that I don't know about doing this under Gnome, but under KDE3 and 4 it could hardly be easier.

As for the original question I agree with your reasoning. I get asked a lot by family and friends about computer systems. When people ask me which system I'd recommend to them, I recommend they get a Mac*. Linux may seem pretty simple to us techies, but your average user quickly gets into trouble and you'll end up on the phone for hours trying to solve issues. I do think that with work you can get superior performance out of a Linux system, but your average guy just wants to make music, and 'just doing stuff' is what Macs are good at.

Mark

*unless their budget is tight and they just want to do simple web browsing and email, in which case I have set up Linux for them. But I do end up with a 'support load' even from these users that I simply don't get from the people who've bought Macs.