[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linux

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 02:24:06 PDT 2009

Thomas has given you a superb appraisal of the differences between the two
OS's.  I can only add by saying that in my experience Linux, whatever its
perceived benefits. is above all else a "high maintenance" OS.  To be fair,
Linux is slowly getting better at working "out of the box" but it's not
there yet.  Someone (not necessarily the user) needs to be willing to spend
a long time learning about and dealing with configuration issues.  Your
friend's wife is not going to welcome this if she's a Mac fan.

That said, my guess is that any support you give is most likely to be for
your friend's musical ambitions, rather than his wife's day-to-day usage.
In fact, if she's got any sense she'lll probably ban you from touching the
machine if you're unfortunate enough to do something that has undesirable
repercussions (which will almost certainly happen if they buy a Mac and you
end up having to tinker around with an unfamiliar OS).  So have they
considered buying a Mac and dual-booting it with Linux?  Maybe that would
keep all three of you happy.  You and you friend could tinker to your
heart's content without ever affecting hiw wife's precious OS-X.

John