[Ardour-Users] Mute buttons don't work (2.8.1/F11)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 8 02:10:53 PDT 2009

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Mike Morris wrote:
>> WOW!!! I had no idea that right-clicking the mute button gave those
>> options!!!
>>
>> Right clicking shows that none of the four options was selected;
>> checking "Main Outs" fixed the problem! Thanks Dragan!
>>
>> Although now I have a problem understanding what the other options do...
>>
>> How does muting Pre or Post Fader differ from muting the Main
>> Outs.... these seem like different points along the same data path to
>> me? And what does muting the "Control Out" do (midi related?)
>>
>> Thanks again Dragan,
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Mike
>
> Until now I do my hd recording with sequencers that include a hd
> recording, I don't know Ardour very much, but I can imagine that
> muting post fader might enable pre fader effects getting the signal,
> while the rest of the channel is muted, similar to a  situation on a
> mixing console were a channel isn't muted, but at the same time not
> connected to any sub bus or the main bus, than there would no direct
> play by this buses, but the aux channels would get the signal.

The "similar" I used might cause confusion, both are different
situations, more "similar" would be the behaviour of inserts for a
mixing console. I don't know how monitoring is done by Ardour, if e.g.
Ardour has got no aux channels, the different mute function might also
be needed for the monitoring. Instead of reading manuals I would test
what happens if you will use the different functions.