[Ardour-Users] sample rate conversion quality

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri Apr 24 07:07:04 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 07:40 -0600, David Taht wrote:

> plutek-infinity escribió:
> > greetings!
> >
> > i'm wondering what method is used by ardour for it's "best" sample rate conversion in export, and whether that represents "state of the art" in linux currently.
> >
> > thanks... cheers!
> >

> It uses libsamplerate, which at best quality claims a > 145db snr ratio.
> I've been working on improving its speed lately, roughly doubling its
> speed in same cases. (the code is far from ready for prime time however)
> Probably the best sample rate converter I've seen is r8brain. I don't
> know its quality but it generates pretty pictures on a sweep. Various
> sample rate converters are compared at: http://src.infinitewave.ca/

There's really only one open source tool I know of that can compete with
libsamplerate. It's the zita resampler by Fons Adriaensen, but it's
design focus is on realtime work and thus speed:

 http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/index.html

It would be interesting to see the results from this tool on the
infinitewave website.

 Sampo