[Ardour-Users] getting started

Raffaele raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 04:58:28 PDT 2009

2009/4/14 Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Raffaele <raffaele.morelli at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Maybe you have been very unlucky with some hw mix but actually I would
> not
> > say installing lenny it's not safe or that with linux in general it's
> very
> > easy to get things unconfigured or broken.
>
> John has actually had the worst "luck" with linux that I have ever
> come across. I do not believe that his experience is typical. That
> doesn't mean it isn't instructive.

Of course I agree with this too, the broke/fix process is really
instructive, something like a shock therapy to learn.

> > The only thing a newbie must really know and learn to use from the
> beginning
> > is how to use man & info pages, because everything to broke and/or fix
> your
> > system is written there.
>
> Although I agree with the general tone of your message, I think this
> claim is really completely wrong if we are talking about using linux
> for pro-audio/music creation (and probably video too). There *is*
> information floating around on the web, but (a) its certainly not in
> man pages (b) its very disorganized, badly maintained, and often
> disappointingly distribution specific.

It was base system related (he talked about modems, hd, grub,
partitioning... ) and if you are stucked on a fstab, xorg.conf, menu.lst
entry and far away from a network manual pages can be your salvation, IMHO.

Completely agree regarding information on multimedia production stuff (even
if there are well documented software which offer some good tricks too)

> --p

regards