[Ardour-Users] getting started

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Apr 14 04:27:09 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Raffaele <raffaele.morelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you have been very unlucky with some hw mix but actually I would not
> say installing lenny it's not safe or that with linux in general it's very
> easy to get things unconfigured or broken.

John has actually had the worst "luck" with linux that I have ever
come across. I do not believe that his experience is typical. That
doesn't mean it isn't instructive.

> The only thing a newbie must really know and learn to use from the beginning
> is how to use man & info pages, because everything to broke and/or fix your
> system is written there.

Although I agree with the general tone of your message, I think this
claim is really completely wrong if we are talking about using linux
for pro-audio/music creation (and probably video too). There *is*
information floating around on the web, but (a) its certainly not in
man pages (b) its very disorganized, badly maintained, and often
disappointingly distribution specific.

--p