[Ardour-Users] Leopard blues: convenient pics to check out.

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Sep 20 07:30:58 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 09:26 -0400, Christopher Bailey wrote:

>         the native version is perfectly able to display waveforms.
>         where did
>         these regions come from? did you record them? from which
>         device?
>
> I loaded in an Ardour session that I Was using with my old laptop
> (the session is on an outboard hard drive that wasn't involved when
> that old machine crashed).

this is the reason why newer JACK versions always call the "system
hardware ports" something that just starts "system:...", so that you can
move ardour sessions (and other connection setups) between machines
(even linux + OS X) or different audio interfaces, and have them (often)
still work.

the old design where the actual interface name shows up in the port name
has been something that we realized was a mistake.

> What's strange is that when I play the mix, I can see the meters
> leaping about---it's seeing sound in there, but not showing it, and I
> hear no sound (but hopefully y'all's advice will help with that).

that seems pretty odd, for sure.

> I'll keep plugging away . . .
>

>         the message at the bottom comes from the fact that your
>         session was, at
>         some point, using an instance of JACK that was connected to
>         "Built-in
>         Audio". In the setup you've shown, JACK is now connected to
>         "Aggregate
>         Device", which is not the same as the "Built-in Audio" device.
>         Neither
>         JACK nor Ardour (not any CoreAudio app) can understand that
>         they are
>         "related", so Ardour is just telling you "I cannot reconnect
>         the click
>         track outputs to the same outputs you used last time". You can
>         change
>         these by hand in the Preferences editor (under the "Click"
>         tab), or you
>         can start a new session using your aggregate device.
>
> Ahh, OK thanks, that sounds hopeful . . . I think I Was lookign for
> such a menu and couldn't find it .

like all(?) OS X apps, Preferences are on the app (main) menu bar, under
the name of the app ("Ardour").