[Ardour-Users] Processor load on ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 09:01:09 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Tiago Tavares <tiagoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
>   I have been using ardour for some time now, but I have found that some
> tracks (about ten...) are enough to overload my processor (I start hearing
> those clicks that happen when you don't produce samples as fast as you play
> them). I am considering changing my athlon xp 2100+ (five years old!) to a
> newer one.
>   Do the rest of you have the same problem? Those dual (or quad) core
> processors are better for this specific job (managing a lot of tracks)?
>
> Thanks
> Tiago

Is it really the processor getting overloaded? If you run top while
running Ardour does it tell you that it's using 100% CPU? I'd be sort
of surprised, but I suppose it's possible.

It might be that you're running out of memory, or it might possibly be
that your disks are too slow and you cannot get 10 tracks on and off
the drive efficiently enough.

Just some ideas,
Mark