[Ardour-Users] Problem with app on mac intel

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 4 00:38:04 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 09:30 +0200, DA. Forsyth wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2008 at 9:14, Paul Davis murmured decisively:
>
> > its not actually very well known how to start OS X "app bundles" from a
> > terminal. it can be done but its certainly not a basic user technique.
> > opening Apps->Utilities->Console is much easier.
>
> oh, ok.  I'm not an Mac user so I don't know.  I assumed that since it is
> based on BSD it works like BSD.  on my Fedora box I can just type 'ardour'
> in any terminal and it runs (-:

actually, the OS X app bundle concept is very very nice. everything
related to the app is stored in a single folder that can be moved
anywhere (or trashed in one simple step). a user can install it wherever
they wish, and remove it easily, and have multiple versions easily.

the actual executable is present inside that folder, but running it
"correctly" means setting up the environment first, something that is
also controllable by the app bundle. if you were to just fire up the
executable, it won't find the various resources included inside the
bundle.

however,

	% open nameOfBundle

will work (with other apps besides ardour too)