[Ardour-Users] Question from a new list member

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Oct 24 04:57:47 PDT 2008

Christian wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have just subscribed to this list.
> I am using Ubuntu Hardy as my OS and I have been searching for a such tool as Ardour.
> I have tried out a few programs but none of them have been accessible to me as a visually impaired computer user using Orca, the screen reader for the Gnome desktop.
> I have tried an old release of Ardour, something with version 1, I think it was.
> Now I want to try out the new version of Ardour. What is the best way to do this on Ubuntu?
> Want to see if it is accessible and from what I have heared Ardour offers many keyboard commands.
> Any help would be apreciated.
> Many thanks,
> Christian

Hi Christian :)

I'm using Suse 11.0 and 64 Studio 2.1 and I'm not familiar with Ardour
myself and I don't know Ubuntu Hardy, also I'm a dyslexic, but maybe
it's easier for me to do research, than it is for someone who is
visually impaired.

I would suggest you to use 64 Studio 2.1, it's based on the GNOME
desktop by default and Orca seems to be installed by default too.

This is the 64 Studio homepage: http://www.64studio.com/

Maybe this guide for Ubuntu Hardy is a help:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy

There are several versions of Ardour in the pool here:
http://my.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ardour/

Launch a terminal and run the following to get Ardour for a 64-bit Ubuntu:

wget
http://my.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ardour/ardour_2.5-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb

For a 32-bit Ubuntu run:

wget
http://my.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/a/ardour/ardour_2.5-0ubuntu4_i386.deb

After downloading the package for Ardour by wget, depending to your
version of Hardy, run:

sudo dpkg -i ardour_2.5-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb

Or

sudo dpkg -i ardour_2.5-0ubuntu4_i386.deb

I don't know if dpkg is installed by default for Ubuntu.

Maybe this version won't run, than try to get Ardour 2.3 yourself from
the pool or what ever is default for Hardy, resp. ask the list again.

Cheers,
Ralf