[Ardour-Users] embedded ogg/mp3

Paul Winkler slinkp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 04:58:08 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:30:41AM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> You are not wrong, FLAC, along with a few other formats is a lossless
> format.  FLAC in particular, if memory serves, is compressed in a way that
> is light on processing to decode(Heavier on the encode as a result IIRC),
> however that being said, it might still be worthwhile to have it import only
> as it will take some processing to decode that might be better used
> elsewhere.  On the flip side of THAT however, FLAC would mean a smaller
> session size, and this can make a difference when dealing with 100Gigs of
> files for a recording that a friend wants to remix later.

If you're talking about using FLAC as the main format for your
session, there's a problem: iirc, FLAC cannot encode float data, so
ardour would have to first convert to ints.

otoh, WavPack can do floats and is BSD-licensed, but I have no idea if
it's "different" in the sense that Paul mentioned.

- PW

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com