[Ardour-Users] embedded ogg/mp3

Jamie McLaughlin j.mclaughlin at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 07:32:11 PST 2008

Hi all,

I've got to say, there are things I'd much rather see in Ardour than
direct loading of compressed files. What on earth is wrong with
converting to wav yourself before you import?

If the plan is to have Ardour decompress the compressed audio in
real-time as the track is played, this is annoying to program (I've done
it myself with a ringbuffer, etc.) and will create a pointless
performance overhead. When it is so straightforward to convert any
reasonable sound format into wav, What is the point in adding this
functionality at the expense of developing other, far more important
parts of Ardour?

Jamie