[Ardour-Users] embedded ogg/mp3

Paul Winkler slinkp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:07:41 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:31:54AM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> BTW, I would like to note that although it would be best if I had
> original wave files to work from. Having to convert from compressed
> audio to wave in order to work with the tracks in Ardour and then
> eventually recompress is definitely reducing the audio quality of my
> production which in this case is Linux Audio tracks released in the past
> year..

How does that give any different quality than hypothetical built-in
support for encoding/decoding?  The quality loss is inherent to
mp3/ogg encoding and decoding, regardless of whether that's done
in-process or by your script or whatever...

> When it is possible to directly embed compressed files into Ardour it
> will be a small step in making it an even more powerful and consistently
> higher quality performer able to take on the standard tasks that the
> average musician/producer/technician has to deal with.

Agreed it would be convenient.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com