[Ardour-Users] embedded ogg/mp3

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Nov 10 20:31:54 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 10:54 +0100, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 16:23 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does ardour have support for embedded ogg/mp3 files yet?
>
> ogg - waiting for libsndfile release
> mp3 - no obvious way to do this

I have converted the tracks to wave. Script attached for future use if
anyone else has a need for it...

BTW, I would like to note that although it would be best if I had
original wave files to work from. Having to convert from compressed
audio to wave in order to work with the tracks in Ardour and then
eventually recompress is definitely reducing the audio quality of my
production which in this case is Linux Audio tracks released in the past
year..

When it is possible to directly embed compressed files into Ardour it
will be a small step in making it an even more powerful and consistently
higher quality performer able to take on the standard tasks that the
average musician/producer/technician has to deal with.

Audacity has hooks for mp3 support via liblame. I suppose it's a fairly
massive issue for someone to take on the legal resposibility of
providing an embedded mp3 in Ardour in Linux. Maybe it would be possible
to provide mp3 regions with no wavefile display in the Linux version and
leave it up to the user to get the associated libs themselves?

- Another way to do this might be to setup a time line for the playlist
in Hydrogen (does it support ogg/mp3?) and record it with Ardour but
that does seem like the long way to go about it. However I may end up
doing that for this run to ensure the best quality.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd